Feb 3, 2009

Batman Haunted Knight

Photobucket

Batman Haunted Knight


The first time I browsed through this graphic novel I wasn't sure I liked the artwork, but I ended up picking it up again a second time a few weeks later and read through the entire thing and ended up finding the art inspiring in it. Its very loose and kind of gritty, it has a certain raw quality to it that lends well to the stories being told.

There are many great panels that visually draw my attention because I find the illustration style kind of unique for a comic book. These two panels in particular really stood out to me the first time I read it.

The way they rendered motion in this one panel stood out to me because usually comic books show movement in side to side panels, but I loved the take on it here. Its kind of a static approach to how you'd render hand drawn animation. I hadn't seen that in anything prior and I've found it inspiring for an illustration I want to do.

Photobucket


Photobucket


This panel has a really beautiful interpretation of Poison Ivy, I love the minimalist interpretation of the leaves, they give this long standing Batman villain a really unique visual look. I think if they make another Batman movie, Poison Ivy should definitely be a villain in it because environmental crisis is a very pertinent topic to our times. However I think the screenwriters of the new Batman movies would need to learn to write some female characters who aren't victims or love interests. Then again I find the Bruce Wayne of the Nolan movies rather vapid himself, now movie Tony Stark has some personality lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment